Re: NTFS recovery in Linux

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 12:45:41 AKDT

jonr@destar.net wrote, on 7/26/2007 12:04 PM:
> Quoting Grant Stockly <grant@stockly.com>:

>> When I plug the hard drive into a USB box and then plug it into my Windows
>> XP workstation it instantly crashes and reboots my computer. I have never
>> used NTFS file systems or USB under Linux. I would have to install a new
>> modern linux on a computer here.
>>
>> Is this worth my time? Is there a chance Linux might be able to help me
>> recover the data? I have RedHat 4.1, so maybe its time to upgrade. : )
>
> Why don't you give knoppix a try and see if you can't recover your
> data from there. There are other LiveCDs out there you could also try
> that are probably smaller but knoppix will mount the drives
> automagically for you.

You might also try TestDisk, which I've heard stuff about but haven't
tried myself. The wiki page uses italics and bold too much, but it
looks pretty good.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                  IP Engineering, ACS
http://www.tycho.org/royce/                   - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531