Re: What's next

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 20 2007 - 15:39:43 AKDT

On 7/20/07, Mike Baker <mlbakerak@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if anyone is interested in this but I have been putting a
> significant amount of time into getting An Apache web server to
> authenticate against a Windows Active directory via kerberos so that
> the user is not asked for their password when we know who they are.
> Of course this isn't of much use if you don't have to worry about
> authentication to your AD.
>
> I have also been spending quite a bit of time setting up a product
> called VistA office. It has nothing to do with M$ Vista but rather it
> is the VA's completely integrated Hospital Information system software
> that is in the public domain and has been modified for docor's
> offices. This software would allow a clinic to have an electronic
> medical record with no outlay for software. The Database and the HIS
> software are open source and public domain. Anyway, I would be happy
> to go over either of these topics or both if there is interest but I
> suspect that both of these topics are so specific and perhaps of not
> much interest. I just wanted to offer as I have received a lot from
> this group by reading the list but have not contributed much.
>
> snip

Well Mike, I know one member besides me who is interested in the VA software
and its port to the GNU/Linux operating system. There is some stuff for the
medical profession in the Debian archives, but I have never had the time to
take a good look at what may already be available. Further, I am generally
interested in the kind of business software that supports the accounting,
bookkeeping, and personnel (read: Human Resources) departments. These areas
are required to comply with federal, state, and local laws and regulations
as well as support the needs of the business part of the organization.
Now, at the moment, I do not have any need to authenticate against (ugh!)
ActiveDirectory, but, here again, I am interested in how to setup apache to
take care of authentication primarily for intra-office use in any of the
above. I am currently attempting to move to some sort of web based data base
for the membership list at the Mabel T. Caverly Senior Center. Although the
membership list is not subject to the same level of federal rules etc. as
the medical profession, I want to design security into the project from the
beginning.

Thanks for your efforts. Cheerio!

--
Fielder George Dowding, KL7FHX