Re: IRC and other things

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 17:29:38 AKDT

barsalou wrote, on 4/20/2007 4:08 PM:
> The IRC channel is moderated by one of our members and we had a
> discussion about the language that was used. We agreed that it was not
> appropriate.

Agreed. :)

> However, since he didn't know Shane, I think his general stance was justified.

I'm mostly a lurker, and I know the moderator from a while back, and
think that he's been quite helpful to AKLUG and is generally a pretty
reasonable guy. Individual personalities aside, judging solely by the
transcript, it's clear that both sides lost their tempers a bit, and
could have chosen other methods to express themselves.

If by "general stance," you mean "didn't want to hand out access,"
then I agree. But "stance" also implies demeanor or attitude. The
moderator could have continued to refuse politely, which would have
been better for everyone -- even if the person making the inquiry was
a troll/hax0r/d00d. This would have saved everyone time, face and
blood pressure.

The moderator is in a position of privilege and authority. He or she
 should be practicing the "great power, great responsibility"
philosophy. Instead, what followed -- even with the cursing removed
-- was not how anyone in a quasi-representative role should ever
behave on behalf of an organization that I want my name attached to
(no offense intended). I consider this incident to be an outlier, but
it's food for thought. Take the high road, I say. It's the
professional thing to do.

I think we should chalk it up as a learning opportunity, move on, and
go have a beer or Grape Nehi or Perrier or whatever. :)

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                - IP Engineering, ACS
personal: [first]@alaska.net                  - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531