Desktop Publsihing on Linux

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 20:11:45 AKDT

I've wanted to do desktop publishing on Linux for a while. A few weeks
back I did a presentation on this very subject at a Friday night
session. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of information to offer.

To get good color prints you need to color correct your printer and
monitor. What you are trying to do here is get the same colors you see
on the screen to print on paper. Right now I don't get the same colors.
There way off. I'm in the process of having my printer color corrected.
Well, I hope. I just sent an email to a guy in Europe who does color
correction. I hope he's able to help me out. I'll post something as soon
as I here from him.

Here's a short list of the software and hardware I will be using for
desktop publishing.

Software

   1. Scribus - Desktop Publishing software
   2. Gimp - Bitmap editor ( photos )
   3. Inkscape - Vector illustrator

Hardware

   1. Color Laser printer - Lexmark C534dn
   2. cpu - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
   3. RAM - 1gig
   4. Video - Nvidia 7600

I may need more RAM but I'll hold of on that until I get good color
prints. CPU speed isn't that important. I'm not sure where video fits
into the equation.

As soon as I learn more I'll post something.