Re: Those IT guys are loony

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 00:20:37 AKDT

On Friday 16 March 2007, Arthur Corliss wrote:
snip

> Look, there should be a hierarchal structure of users within a group,
> consisting of different skill levels. The goal of any non-dead user
> group should be not just to get more members, but to progress those
> members to higher skill levels. That way you keep an energized
> membership that's continually learning something new, and mentoring
> those who arrived after them. And that energy and excitement about
> harnessing technology (or even creating it) can lure on even more new
> members.
>
> I'm sorry guys, but if everyone thinks that this group is fine with no
> focus, no direction, no enticement for users to succeed (as users or
> admins, hackers, etc.), then this group is already dead and beyond
> resuscitation.

I think if Arthur wants more direction or intellectual stimulization in
Aklug he should help provide it. I am a user, myself, go to Friday Nite ,
and from my perspective we have introduced many new people to Linux, and
continue to do so.

This is only one aspect of Aklug, it is very successful, it is all I am
able to help out in . If some group of Aklugers need more they need to
provide it, not make the people who are helping the entry level feel less
deserving. Aklug is working.

--
Greg Madden