Re: Those IT guys are loony

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 20:42:29 AKDT

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Jon Reynolds wrote:

> Good point(s), it doesn't need a focus, it doesn't need to go a certain
> direction. The group, to me, is what I make it. I'll leave it at that
> and just let it go.

I have to disagree. If there's no goal or direction for the group you're
goind to end up with exactly what you have. And is that a good thing?

Look, there should be a hierarchal structure of users within a group,
consisting of different skill levels. The goal of any non-dead user group
should be not just to get more members, but to progress those members to
higher skill levels. That way you keep an energized membership that's
continually learning something new, and mentoring those who arrived after
them. And that energy and excitement about harnessing technology (or even
creating it) can lure on even more new members.

I'm sorry guys, but if everyone thinks that this group is fine with no
focus, no direction, no enticement for users to succeed (as users or admins,
hackers, etc.), then this group is already dead and beyond resuscitation.

Having a group to pat each other on the back is worthless. I participate in
groups, whether AKLUG, IEEE, SAGE, etc., for personal growth. I can stay at
home with my family if I just want some like-minded folks who make me feel
good about myself...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die