Re: Those IT guys are loony

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 13:53:58 AKDT

Quoting Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>:

> Over the past few days some of the IT people on the list started jumping
> up and down, shouting and hollering. Me included. Some where pushing the
> Neva distribution others were shaking their heads at compiling everything.
>
> What does it all mean? Absolutely nothing. Your distribution of choice
> and all of the included applications will continue to work just fine.
>
> I think the debate about Neva is really about uptime. How do IT people
> provide good services and lots of up time to the end user? Most IT
> people are focused on servers, network security, IP address, subnets,
> compiling or package management etc... While these are good things to
> think about it kind of leaves the end user out of the picture. The end
> user wants to check email, surf the net, print and maybe do a mail merge
> in Word or Open Office.
>
> Ever met an IT person that can do a mail merge?
>
> The IT industry is all about customer service. IT departments should be
> providing services and support for the things the end user needs. Not
> some fancy compile this or that. I argue for end user rights. It will do
> use all some good.

So this brings up a good question: What is AKLUGs focus?

What are the goals for the list and the group? I like the internals of linux, I
like to know why and how things work, I don't care about a mail merge. I like
to build servers and tweak them for fun. For me Linux is not about another
desktop distro.

So is AKLUG still right for me or has the focus shifted to a point where the
things I enjoy are no longer relevant on this list?

Jon