Those IT guys are loony

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 12:39:01 AKDT

Over the past few days some of the IT people on the list started jumping
up and down, shouting and hollering. Me included. Some where pushing the
Neva distribution others were shaking their heads at compiling everything.

What does it all mean? Absolutely nothing. Your distribution of choice
and all of the included applications will continue to work just fine.

I think the debate about Neva is really about uptime. How do IT people
provide good services and lots of up time to the end user? Most IT
people are focused on servers, network security, IP address, subnets,
compiling or package management etc... While these are good things to
think about it kind of leaves the end user out of the picture. The end
user wants to check email, surf the net, print and maybe do a mail merge
in Word or Open Office.

Ever met an IT person that can do a mail merge?

The IT industry is all about customer service. IT departments should be
providing services and support for the things the end user needs. Not
some fancy compile this or that. I argue for end user rights. It will do
use all some good.

The above comments are from a loony it guy. ;-)