Re: www.spamcop.net

From: Adam Bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 12:55:47 AKST

Damien Hull wrote:
> The more I think about it the more I believe these guys just want your
> money. Nothing wrong with that but they should state that up front.
>
> According to the instructions on the site you need to pay them $30 for
> a personal Email account. Then you forward your existing Email account
> to the spamcop.net address. In my case I would forward
> dhull@digitaloverload.net to "something@spamcop.net".
>
> That's how spamcop.net is able to filter out your spam. For a fee of
> course.
>
> I think my current email setup is working just fine. No need to
> switch. Not yet anyway.

That's the postini-style way to do it. If you're not familiar with
postini: You pay them money, and point your MX records to a special
postini server (usually something like, www.yourdomain.com.psmtp.com) .
Postini runs your mail through their filter, then sends the mail on its
way to your system. This is the 'hands off' way of doing things. I'm
not sure if spamcop does this, but postini offers a portal you can use
to manage whitelists, blacklists, settings, etc, as well as view
quarantined mail, release mail, etc.

You can use spamcop *for free* if you use their service as part of a
plugin. As I said before, you can use their blocklist in a milter, or
via spamassassin, or whatever other thing you found or could write
yourself. If you use spamassasin, you tell it to do a lookup, and then
to score accordingly. If you use a milter, you can have it perform a
real-time lookup of the connecting IP and then determine what you do
with that client depending on the results you get.

It just depends on how involved you want to be. In my case, spamcop
stopped working properly for some reason, so I had to disable it. If
you paid for the email service you probably wouldn't have had the
problems I am having. Again, I would recommend you use it. It *is*
free if you use it in the way I described, and it is (normally!)
quick. YMMV.

Adam