Re: www.spamcop.net

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 13:41:41 AKST

Adam Bultman wrote:
> Damien Hull wrote:
>
>> The more I think about it the more I believe these guys just want your
>> money. Nothing wrong with that but they should state that up front.
>>
>> According to the instructions on the site you need to pay them $30 for
>> a personal Email account. Then you forward your existing Email account
>> to the spamcop.net address. In my case I would forward
>> dhull@digitaloverload.net to "something@spamcop.net".
>>
>> That's how spamcop.net is able to filter out your spam. For a fee of
>> course.
>>
>> I think my current email setup is working just fine. No need to
>> switch. Not yet anyway.
>>

> That's the postini-style way to do it. If you're not familiar with
> postini: You pay them money, and point your MX records to a special
> postini server (usually something like, www.yourdomain.com.psmtp.com) .
> Postini runs your mail through their filter, then sends the mail on its
> way to your system. This is the 'hands off' way of doing things. I'm
> not sure if spamcop does this, but postini offers a portal you can use
> to manage whitelists, blacklists, settings, etc, as well as view
> quarantined mail, release mail, etc.
>
> You can use spamcop *for free* if you use their service as part of a
> plugin. As I said before, you can use their blocklist in a milter, or
> via spamassassin, or whatever other thing you found or could write
> yourself. If you use spamassasin, you tell it to do a lookup, and then
> to score accordingly. If you use a milter, you can have it perform a
> real-time lookup of the connecting IP and then determine what you do
> with that client depending on the results you get.
>
> It just depends on how involved you want to be. In my case, spamcop
> stopped working properly for some reason, so I had to disable it. If
> you paid for the email service you probably wouldn't have had the
> problems I am having. Again, I would recommend you use it. It *is*
> free if you use it in the way I described, and it is (normally!)
> quick. YMMV.
>
> Adam

I'm one who loves to beat a subject to death. Helps me figure things
out. Any way, I'll have to give this a try. I can't do it with
digitaloverload.net because I use a hosting company for that domain.
However, testing-linux.com is all mine.

I guess I'll have to turn the mail server on. It's been off for about
two months now. I was going to stick it inside of a Xen virtual server.
Maybe I should do that this Friday.

There's never enough time to learn it all. Okay, I'm calling this topic
partly dead. I'll bring it back to life as soon as I get my mail server
back on line.

Thanks for all the info.