AKLUG FTP & zsync

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 14:53:08 AKST

OK, so I just finally discovered zsync, quit reading if you know all about it.

I am a gigantor rsync fan, hell if it were peanut butter lets just say
it would be on my toast, every morning, of every day, for the rest of
my life.

zsync is a client side method of using librsync to download similar
files using a binary delta. This works best of course if the data is
uncompressed. I just tested it out on some debian .iso's from the
official debian cd images site, I use debian-installer testing images
constantly.

zsync helped today by serving not only as a HTTP client for the file I
wanted, but comparing it to the remote side via the pre-generated
checksums stored in the remote .zsync file.

Check here for an idea of what I am referring to:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/

It didn't save much time, only 5% of the download was similar to
something I already had on disk. However that could mean a world of
difference if the AKLUG site is being used for large constantly
updating files. Like Neveah iso's, mailing list archives in one large
mbox, etc..

Anyways. its the pimp. I have been meaning to port librsync to native
Win9x/XP for a long time. Its cool to see it being used outside of
just rsync.

Shane