Re: Beryl anyone?

From: <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 18:00:57 AKST

Heh. Welcome to October and December, '06 ;)

http://consortiumlibrary.org/aklug/archive/2006-10/0056.html
http://consortiumlibrary.org/aklug/archive/2006-12/0029.html

Beryl works very well, although getting drivers loaded and working CAN be
a pain. I'm not using it anymore, simply because any time a serious
update happens on my ubuntu boxes (with debian-etch vserver kernel) I
have to run the whole installer for nvidia again. Not fun. Other than
that, rather stable. I used it at work for a few months, and at home for a
few months until I started running vservers regularly.

I ended up disabling a lot of the effects from Beryl at work because of
the video card speed, but the expose' style window selector is awesome.
(It unfortunately will not un-windowshade things... either that, or
un-minimize.)

The Best part: You no longer need Xsnow! It has a built-in snow-program
with makes it snow (in 3d!) on your desktop. If only I could hook it up
with the weather applet I have to report the actual weather. Rain on my
desktop when it's raining, snow when it's snowing.

Dee, it's worth the time to get it fully tweaked. Productivity rose a bit
when I ran beryl (once I stopped abusing the effects) because I was able
to switch windows and workspaces a bit better. The 'desktop cube' helps me
visualize the desktops in my head a bit better (and therefore keep track a
bit easier.) It is really easy to 'lose' windows though, when you make
them translucent, and then forget they are there, or where in the mess of
windows they are located. I *do* enjoy watching translucent movies while
fiddling with my computer, though.

Adam