Re: Is Windowmaker an active project?

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 22:14:55 AKST

Gnustep is not windowmaker, however it uses NeXT stype widget API's
for handling widgetry. I really linked to the wrong site since it
gave a few people confusion. NeXT wouldn't be NeXT if it weren't
confusing :)

Check out the gnustep workspace manager 'application' that uses
Gnustep and is a full X11 window manager. Debian/Ubuntu has this to
say on the matter.

*** gworkspace.app - GNUstep Workspace Manager ***

as well as the following packages which should, may, might, be available.

aclock.app - Analog dockapp clock for GNUstep
addresses-goodies-for-gnustep - Personal Address Manager for GNUstep (Goodies)
addresses.framework - Database API backend framework for GNUstep
addressmanager.app - Personal Address Manager for GNUstep
addressview.framework - Address display/edit framework for GNUstep
affiche.app - An application to "stick" little notes on the desktop
agenda.app - Calendar manager for GNUstep
batmon.app - Battery monitor for GNUstep
biococoa.app - Sequence file format conversion for GNUstep
camera.app - GNUstep application for digital still cameras
cddb.bundle - Bundle for CDDB access for GNUstep
cenon.app - Vector graphics tool for GNUstep
charmap.app - Character map for GNUstep
clipbook.app - GNUstep Pasteboard Viewer
connect.app - Frontend to pppd for GNUstep
cynthiune.app - A free software and romantic music player for GNUstep
desktop-profiles - framework for setting up desktop profiles
displaycalibrator.app - Gamma calibration for GNUstep
easydiff.app - Graphical diff for GNUstep
edenmath.app - Scientific calculator for GNUstep
ftp.app - File transfer protocol application for GNUstep
gnumail.app - fully featured mail application
gnustep - The GNUstep Development Environment -- user applications
gnustep-antlr - Objective-C Classes Needed for ANTLR Compatibility
gnustep-back-common - The GNUstep GUI Backend - common files
gnustep-back-doc - The GNUstep GUI Backend documentation
gnustep-back0.11 - The GNUstep GUI Backend
gnustep-base-common - GNUstep Base library - common files
gnustep-base-doc - Documentation for the GNUstep Base Library
gnustep-base-examples - Examples using the GNUstep Base Library
gnustep-base-runtime - GNUstep Base library
gnustep-common - Common files for the core GNUstep environment
gnustep-core - The GNUstep Development Environment -- core
gnustep-core-devel - The GNUstep Development Environment -- core development
gnustep-core-doc - The GNUstep Development Environment -- core documentation
gnustep-devel - The GNUstep Development Environment -- development tools
gnustep-dl2 - Objective-C Classes Needed for Database Access
gnustep-examples - GNUstep Example Applications
gnustep-games - The GNUstep Development Environment -- games
gnustep-gd - Objective-C Interface to the GD Graphics Library
gnustep-gpbs - The GNUstep PasteBoard Server
gnustep-gui-common - GNUstep GUI Library - common files
gnustep-gui-doc - Documentation for the GNUstep GUI Library
gnustep-gui-runtime - GNUstep GUI Library - runtime files
gnustep-icons - Several free icons for use with GNUstep and others
gnustep-make - Basic GNUstep Makefiles
gnustep-make-doc - Documentation for GNUstep-make
gnustep-make-ogo - Basic GNUstep Scripts and Makefiles for OpenGroupware.org
gnustep-netclasses - Objective-C framework for socket programming with GNUstep
gnustep-ppd - GNUstep Postscript Printer Description
gnustep-tutorial-html - GNUstep tutorial as HTML files
gnustep-tutorial-pdf - GNUstep tutorial as PDF
gnuwash.app - Configurable timer with alarm for GNUstep
gomoku.app - Extended TicTacToe game for GNUstep
gorm.app - Visual Interface Builder for GNUstep
gridlock.app - A collection of grid-based board games for GNUstep
grouch.app - AOL and ICQ Instant Messenger client for GNUstep
gtamsanalyzer.app - Qualitative Research Software for the Free World for GNUstep
gworkspace-apps-wrappers - Application wrappers for GWorkspace
gworkspace.app - GNUstep Workspace Manager
gwremote.app - GNUstep Remote Workspace Manager
helpviewer.app - Online help viewer for GNUstep programs
innerspace.app - Screensaver for GNUstep
ladder.app - GNU Go frontend for GNUstep
latex.service - LaTeX service for GNUstep
libaddresses-dev - Database API backend framework for GNUstep
(development files)
libaddresses0 - Database API backend framework for GNUstep (library files)
libaddressview-dev - Address display/edit framework for GNUstep
(development files)
libaddressview0 - Address display/edit framework for GNUstep (library files)
libcamelbones0 - an Objective C <-> Perl bridge for GNUstep
libcamelbones0-dev - the development files for the CamelBones framework
libgnustep-base-dev - GNUstep Base header files and development libraries
libgnustep-base1.13 - GNUstep Base library
libgnustep-base1.13-dbg - GNUstep Base library - debugging version
libgnustep-gui-dev - GNUstep GUI header files and static libraries
libgnustep-gui0.11 - GNUstep GUI Library
libgnustep-gui0.11-dbg - GNUstep GUI Library - debugging version
libpantomime1.2 - GNUstep framework for mail handling
libpantomime1.2-dev - GNUstep framework for mail handling
libpdfkit0 - GNUstep framework for rendering PDF content (library files)
libpdfkit0-dev - GNUstep framework for rendering PDF content (development files)
librenaissance0 - GNUstep GUI Framework - library files
librenaissance0-dev - GNUstep GUI Framework - development file
librsskit0 - GNUstep framework for parsing and manipulating RSS feeds
(library files)
librsskit0-dev - GNUstep framework for parsing and manipulating RSS
feeds (development files)
libsope-gdl1-4.4 - GNUstep database libraries for SOPE
libsope-gdl1-4.4-dev - Development files for the GNUstep database libraries
libwings-dev - Window Maker's own widget set
lusernet.app - News Reader for GNUstep
lynkeos.app - Tool to process planetary astronomical images for GNUstep
mines.app - Minesweeper for GNUstep
mknfonts.tool - Create nfont packages for GNUstep
mpd - Music Player Daemon
mpdcon.app - MPD controller for GNUstep
open.app - GNUstep open tool
pdfkit.framework - GNUstep framework for rendering PDF content
plopfolio.app - Clone of Serence's excellent KlipFolio for GNUstep
preferences.app - GNUstep Preferences application
preview.app - General purpose image viewer for GNUstep
price.app - Image filtering and manipulation using GNUstep
projectcenter.app - IDE for GNUstep Development
projectmanager.app - Simple IDE for GNUstep
renaissance - GNUstep GUI Development Framework - dummy package
rsskit.framework - GNUstep framework for parsing and manipulating RSS feeds
rssreader.app - RSS reader for GNUstep
shisen.app - Shisen-sho puzzle game for GNUstep
simpleui.bundle - Theme bundle for GNUstep
sope4.4-gdl1-postgresql - PostgreSQL connector for SOPE's fork of the
GNUstep database environment
stepbill.app - Get rid of those nasty Wingdows viruses
steptalk - The GNUstep Scripting Framework
stepulator.app - Scientific calculator implementing RPN notation for GNUstep
talksoup.app - IRC client for GNUstep
terminal.app - a Terminal Emulator for GNUstep
textedit.app - Text editor for GNUstep
timemon.app - CPU time usage monitor for GNUstep
viewpdf.app - Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer for GNUstep
volumecontrol.app - Audio mixer for GNUstep
wildmenus.bundle - Bundle for GNUstep applications to have a
horizontal main menu
wrapperfactory.app - Application wrappers configuration tool for GNUstep
wterm - lightweight terminal emulator for X
wterm-ml - lightweight multilingual terminal emulator for X
zipper.app - Tool for inspecting the contents of a compressed archive