Legal use of multimdedia software

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 13:38:41 AKST

I'm wondering how the "legal issues" with multimedia software such as
the w32codecs effects the use of Linux. Is it preventing companies from
deploying and or creating the Linux desktop system?

How do distributions such as Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora get away with it?
These distributions don't provide the software on the CD. However, you
can fined documentation that explains how to install the w32codecs along
with other multimedia software.

A quick Google search shows that libdvdcss and mp3 codecs are in the
gray area. I'm not sure what that means. I think you can get a license
for both.

The w32codecs are a different story. Apparently the w32codecs are a copy
of the Windows dll's. It is illegal to use them outside of Windows.

    * Is there a way around all of this?
    * Will this kill Linux? ( don't hate me for asking )
          o Company may not deploy Linux for fear of being sued