Re: Moving forward

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 11:25:33 AKST

I think having a class once a month is a good idea. However, I would
like to see a slight change or addition to what aklug provides.

I've noticed over the years that aklug attracts a certain type of
person. GEEKS! While I don't mined hanging out with geeks I would like
to see non geeks attending as well. Some people aren't comfortable
hanging out with geeks.

At the IT-Expo I met a couple of people that saw my bit on TV and wanted
to know more about virus free computers. One guy was tired of taking his
computer into the shop and paying someone to fix Windows. The other was
a retired couple that wanted to buy a new virus free computer.

Is there a way aklug can help people like this?

The http://www.acs-pcug.org/ group is mostly average users (Windows).
They want to now the basics.

   1. Sending Email
   2. Edit photos
   3. Get on the net

Linux does all the above and more. We should be spreading the word.
Converting the masses. We will be getting rid of the viruses and giving
them good open source software in the process. It's FREE!

Most people can't figure out how Windows works. With something like
Ubuntu ( only an example. Don't hate me. ) it should be easy. We need to
get to them soon before they shell out $$$ for Vista.