Re: UAA List Serve

From: David Syzdek <syzdek@mosquitonet.com>
Date: Tue Dec 05 2006 - 17:02:48 AKST

Greg Madden wrote:
> This is not true in our case.If we host the list serve and give the
> appropriate permissions to manage the the list plus direction, Aklug
> gains control of the list, and can resolve issues that have afflicted
> users, something that is only a wish at this time.
>
> I move we move the list to Dee's server unless someone else volunteers a
> list serve.

First, there are lots of organizations that run mailing lists and do not
have root access of the hosting servers. AKLUG should be no different.
I am puzzled how having root access to a unix server will assist the
group in maintaining a mailing list. Could someone please explain why
AKLUG would need root access to manage a mailing list when other
organizations seem to due fine without it?

Second, I agree with Jim Gribbin, before making the decision to move the
mailing list to a new server that is maintained by the group, the group
should determine the cause of the problem. It surely will not consume
much of the UAA admins time to provide the logs pertaining to the AKLUG
mailing list so we can determine why users are being removed from the list.

If the users are being removed due to bounce messages, then the problem
is with the individual users' mailboxes not with the mailing list.
Moving to a new platform and disabling this feature could create
additional problems/issues for the entire list, not just those users
with temperamental mailboxes.

Of course if this is just justification to gain complete control over
the mailing server, much like my desire for a DVD burner justified (at
least that's what I tell myself) buying a new laptop, then disregard
this message.