Re: DNS and CNAME

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 17:16:51 AKST

Damien Hull wrote, on 11/1/2006 11:27 AM:
> Can someone tell me if the "CNAME" record in DNS is still used?

Definitely. :)

> I've got CNAME entries in BIND so I know they work. The trouble I'm
> having is that when I do a "dig" on the domain I don't see them. It only
> shows "A" records. Either I'm doing something wrong with "dig" or I'll
> have to switch everything to an "A" record. I want to see all my DNS
> records when I run "dig".

What's the actual query you're using? If you're asking a full zone
transfer (dig @myservername example.net axfr), you'll get the whole
enchilada. If you only ask for your domain (dig example.net any),
you'll only get the stuff associated directly with your domain name
itself (MXes, NS records, and any A or CNAME tied to the domain
itself, but no "child" hosts within the domain).

... I think. :)

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                - IP Engineering, ACS
personal: [first]@alaska.net                  - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531