Call for action: aklug.org name server separation

From: kracker <thekracker@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 01:21:36 AKDT

Greetings fellow AKLUGers,

I am writing today to bring up a
particularly relevant conversation
whose time has come again
in the wake of this week's aklug.org
dns outage.

The outage (resolved yesterday)
occurred because unlike most
internet name servers, the aklug
name servers are all hosted on
the same network.

http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=aklug.org

While hosting aklug dns from a
single (point of failure | or ) network
may be convenient, it is by no
measure stable.

Often the aklug dns goes down,
preventing people from using
aklug.org resources like the list,
mail, website, calendar, wiki, etc.

I propose to alleviate these reoccurring
breakdown / outages by first replacing
the primary name server by pointing
primary name server (in the registrar records)
to the server which already hosts the website.

The software has been setup and configured.
all that is needed is for the registrar information
be updated to include an additional server ip pointing
to the primary server.

A replacement secondary name server on a separate
network within Alaska should be setup as well.

We have friends in several key (and stable) networks,
I'd imagine at least one of them might be able to chime
in with an offer.

We can leave the Tertiary server as it setup now.

Lets protect the availability of the aklug.org services
by taking action now to make aklug.org dns reliable,
even in the event one network goes down and you
can not reach an emergency contact or get that call back.

seriously,
respectfully,
//kracker