Re: Software RAID - bunny trail

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 16:19:05 AKDT

Ben wrote:
> Matt,
>
> The script you offer will save the fat-fingered error, but it doesn't
> help with disk failure which is what I am attempting to avoid in initial
> design. (IE: I don't trust cheap maxtors, but two 120's fell in my lap -
> so sue me) The script would be more of a second tier measure as I build
> this, albiet a good idea.
>
> Anyone else here using USB drives to add decent quick-add storage? Note:
> speed is not an issue, so don't bother lighting the flame torches.
>
> -Ben

The script I offered you solves the disk failure error (because you have
a copy of all of your data) and the fat finger error (because you have a
7 day snapshot), the only thing it lacks is the running fault tolerance.

Basically your trading a little down time for protection against
yourself, scripts, and data corruption. Because I have had scripts,
myself, and other circumstances delete data more frequently than disk
failure, I personally won't even consider raid 1 until after I have a
good multi-day rotating backup.

I should note I use this on my server at the house and also had a
crapstor fail on me, but I didn't loose anything. I simply put in a new
disk, booted off of a cd, copied my data back to the primary disk, and I
was up and running.

schu