Re: Ripping music cd's

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 17:48:50 AKDT

On Thursday 21 September 2006 20:12, adam bultman wrote:
> Damien Hull wrote:
> >At least some of the information should be on the CD. Things like song
> >title. The other information may not be. There doesn't seem to be a
> >standard.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB
>
> Looks like the 'standard' is just a comparison of the disc's unique ID
> against a database. "CD-TEXT" is something that solves this and
> allows track and CD info on the disc, but personally I haven't seen any
> audio cds in best buy that sport the CD-TEXT label dealy. Of course, I
> don't buy many CDs anymore.
>
> FWIW, none of my CDs will display any info unless I'm on the 'net - and
> even then, not all of them work (perhaps a little too obscure.) Grip
> gets about 99% of them though.

AFAIKT, grip puts the files in your home dir, which, makes sense, that
is the dir you have permissions, but also most Linux home users also can
change permissions. Sound Juicer, the default Gnome app for playing &
extracting allows you to put the dir anywhere you have permissions.

> If you have a CD that's not in the DB, it's just good policy to put it
> into the db :)

I can't type :-) So far all the cd's I have ripped that don't have the
info dl'd from Musicbrainz, are available at Muscibrainz using their
search function ????

--
Greg Madden