Re: Ripping music cd's

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 20:12:01 AKDT

Damien Hull wrote:

>At least some of the information should be on the CD. Things like song
>title. The other information may not be. There doesn't seem to be a
>standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB

Looks like the 'standard' is just a comparison of the disc's unique ID
against a database. "CD-TEXT" is something that solves this and allows
track and CD info on the disc, but personally I haven't seen any audio
cds in best buy that sport the CD-TEXT label dealy. Of course, I don't
buy many CDs anymore.

FWIW, none of my CDs will display any info unless I'm on the 'net - and
even then, not all of them work (perhaps a little too obscure.) Grip
gets about 99% of them though.
If you have a CD that's not in the DB, it's just good policy to put it
into the db :)

Adam