Re: Ripping music cd's

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 19:33:37 AKDT

Greg Madden wrote:
> I have been ripping my cd collection onto a harddrive. What i have
> discovered is Sound Juicer (gnome) looks up the album on the internet,
> Musicbrainz, to fill in the track and artist info. A couple of things,
> this only works, getting the info online, part of the time, other wise I
> get no album or artist/track info . This begs the question why these
> ripping/encoding programs don't read the info directly from the cd,
> having to have an internet conection, or a server thats not busy seems
> not the best solution.
>
> Am I missing something in this process?
>
> TIA

At least some of the information should be on the CD. Things like song
title. The other information may not be. There doesn't seem to be a
standard.

The information on the net is hit or miss. There's a lot of stuff that
isn't there. If your music is all top 40 hits then you should have no
trouble getting cover art and song info.

Try Grip or Banshee for riping.

I use Xmms for playing but I here Amarok is a good player. The students
at Highland Tech want to learn Amarok. I'll have one of them teach it. :-)

Hope this helps.