Re: Software Freedom Day - why did ALASKA get left out?

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 15:22:26 AKDT

Arthur Corliss wrote:
> :-P Don't get me started. I was happy with the stability of the kernels in
> the 2.0 & 2.2 days, angry in the 2.4 days (finally got some stability after
> 2.4.11, but still had to patch the kernel for XFS support), and beside
> myself in the 2.6 days. But, to get virtualization support on IBM POWER5
> platforms I've had to choice but to join the bleeding edge.

I thought linux is bullet proof :p

On a more serious note, 2.4 was decent, but there are a lot of
networking things in 2.6 that are WAY better. IPSEC on linux is no
longer lame as of 2.6.11. Anymore, I find a kernel that works and stick
with it as long as I can. It's kinda like upgrading a cisco router, you
start reading and trying IOS images until you find one that doesn't have
problems....

schu