RE: MythTV

From: Lance Hankins <lhankins@ktuu.com>
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 15:02:34 AKDT

 You can access the link Ben gave you - www.AnchorageHD.TV for any info on
digital TV going on around here. It's my site and we're always happy to have
new members. In general, DTV has been on the air in Anchorage for real since
last October with HD since the outset on Ch 2 (NBC) and Ch 7 (PBS). Ch 5 has
some HD but it's not their regular (UPN, soon to be MyNetwork) signal. KTVA
(CBS) is trialing HD and should have it on regularly pretty soon. Nothing
from FOX. PAX has a digital signal as well.

Nothing gets to Kenai reliably enough to watch but in some areas I know we
have interference issues with Ch 2's signal from Site 17 (Ch 10) and our
digital signal - also broadcast on Ch 10.

There are no plans for the immediate future to do digital signals on the
peninsula. When analog ends in early 2009, it'll happen. The plan is to
replace or rebuild the existing translator facilities to support digital
signals.

So in your case I wouldn't worry about a card that'll capture HD yet. By the
time we actually get you something to watch, there'll be much better ones on
the market. We're up to 5th generation receivers now and they're getting
pretty good.

As to MythTV, I built a box about 4 years ago when I was living in Idaho.
Worked pretty well. I was pleased. But I've been thinking about doing
another with some better hardware. I haven't used the card you're talking
about, but I currently have an AutumnWave OnAIR solution USB HD/analog
receiver I'm looking for some Linux drivers for. I'll let you know how it
turns out if I find them.

Lance Hankins
KTUU-TV