Subject: rsync trouble

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 10:05:34 AKDT

I run into that a lot. Here's my Best Guesses <tm>.

1. First thing to do is remove the 'v'. That fixes a lot of such issues
if they're a problem.

2. Probably the USB drive is vfat? If so, you may have hit a vfat file
number limit. The way I usually fix this is to separate out into
several subdirectories using one of Mr. Corliss' perl shorties he was
kind enough to let me use some years ago. Mkstemp errors,
9-times-outta-10 is a filecount or filesize problem. =20

3. If the drive is a vfat or related, the chmod and chown errors are
irrelevant, but to take care of them remove the 'a'. Use 'r' instead.

Btw, another useful rsync option when duping or transferring files is
'--remove-sent-files'.

Hope this helps.