Re: Curious question

From: Adam Bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 08:02:13 AKDT

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Tony wrote:

> Hi Adam and everyone:
>
> Explanation of coding
>
> An example of linux coding would be the directory
> where apache works off. In Red Hat, it is located at
> /var/www/html while in SuSE 10.1 it is at
> /srv/www/htdocs.
>
> So if I wrote a script for Red Hat and wanted to use
> it in SuSE, I have to change all the directories.

I don't want to be an insufferable nitpick, but 'scripting' isn't
'coding'. If you talk to some IT person about how you were 'coding' last
night, they will assume you were programming (C, C++, java,
smalltalk, etc).

Scripting across the various flavors of linux is a bit of a painb ecause
they DO put things in different places. A quick way to take care of that
is to put a switch in that lets you choose your path based on what flavor
of linux you're running. I've done this for chkrootkit before - compile it
for different flavors and versions of linux and then have the script check
which flavor it is, and run the one it should. It's a little extra work,
but you'll save yourself by only needing to have ONE copy in CVS, and
it'll run across all your different boxes.

It IS a pain, but it IS managable. Ideally, yoiu'd haev the same flavor
and version of linux across the board. But, that doesn't always work out -
at my last job, we had RH6.2, RH7.3, RH9, FC1, FC2, FC3, RHEL3, RHEL4, and
Centos4.

Your insufferable, pedantic nitpick,
Adam