Re: Curious question

From: Tony <vze2jy85@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 07:47:45 AKDT

Hi Adam and everyone:

Explanation of coding

An example of linux coding would be the directory
where apache works off. In Red Hat, it is located at
/var/www/html while in SuSE 10.1 it is at
/srv/www/htdocs.

So if I wrote a script for Red Hat and wanted to use
it in SuSE, I have to change all the directories.

There may be other small differences as well, but as I
am learning more about the various OSes, I am getting
used to the variations in code.

Lately people have been recommending Ubuntu. And I may
gravitate there as long as it runs Apache, php and
MySQL well. The thing is so does Red Hat and SuSE so
why even move? I got everything stabilized now and it
could mean a lot of work to rewrite all the codes for
a new OS which is supposed to give me benefits but all
I want is for the software to work. It's like
upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows XP
Professional. I am perfectly content with WIndows
2000, so for a very long time, and e.g 4 years, I
simply did not move. So why switch OSes?

Tony

**