Re: HDD Password.

From: Oliver Savage <oliver.savage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 11:29:59 AKDT

If you are still working on this, here are some things you may try.
Some machines with HDD passwords have an emergency password that is
provided by the manufacturer, check with them to see if they do. There
are different passwords depending on model.

If the data is important enough, you might be able to rig up a brute
force attack. Most of the HDD passwords will only allow a limited
number of tries, then you have to reboot. If you set up something to
save the state of tried passwords, and automated the process...

For brute forcing you may want to look into "rainbow tables", as these
may bring down the time required.

On 8/23/06, levi <levi@akgeeks.com> wrote:
> We have A computer in our shop that is in for data recovery, because they
> forgot the password for thier harddrive. Our issue is, we can't find a way
> around this without frying the data. We can't run fdisk, cfdisk, fixmbr...
> or anything else that we can think of, under Linux or Windows. I thought
> perhaps changing the drive pe to "007" (ntfs) in cfdisk, or fixing the MBR
> would work, but we cant access the drive, on the local machine or by =
> pulling
> it and slaving it onto a workbench computer... I'm at a total loss, and =
> was
> hoping perhaps someone had experience with this. Any input would be
> appreciated...
> Thank You,
> Levi

Politics is war without bloodshed, and war is politics with bloodshed.
-Fred Hampton