Re: Ubuntu printing problem

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 13:13:46 AKDT

On Thursday 10 August 2006 12:24, Damien Hull wrote:
> I don't know for sure but I think printing in Ubuntu is broken. I can't
> print anything. Even if I cat a file to /dev/lp0 I don't get anything. I
> sent an email to the Ubuntu list. If I get something back I'll post it.

This is a long shot, but since I had this similar problem the other day, I'll
try.

First: does /dev/lp0 exist? if so, you many ignore this e-mail. If not, read
on.

The other day my little one got to my computer power button. Well, I think
the power cycled too fast, because apparently the BIOS got cleared (it's
happened before), and after much troubleshooting and
uninstalling/reinstalling printers, etc, I finally realized there was
no /dev/lp0. Rebooted, went to BIOS and saw the parallel port was disabled.
That fixed that problem.

So, anyway, FYI, HTH, FWIW, IMNSHO, IIRC, ROFL, YMMV, and DUMB. :)

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111