Re: OS Recommendations?

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 14:46:03 AKDT

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 14:05 -0800, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Thursday 01 June 2006 13:22, Shane R. Spencer wrote:
> > Why has nobody mentioned Debian? are Debianists a dying breed in AK? :)
>
> I recently started a new job, and our servers all run Debian. I must say, I'm
> quickly being converted. Granted, Debian stable can be a bit frustrating to
> work with sometimes due to package age, but with collections like
> backports.org, and other unofficial sites, things work out just fine. And
> there is always configure/make/make install. :)

I backport using dpkg sources from more current releases.. or use the
debian-backport feeds (which I use for kernelage and vserverage).

> If you want things a little more up-to-date, go with a "supported unstable"
> distribution. I'm running Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) on my desktop right
> now, and I've never had so stable a desktop. You can even get KDE 3.5.3
> packages. :) That "supported unstable" comes from that fact
> that /etc/debian_version on Ubuntu contains the string "testing/unstable."

I haven't actually tried to get support with Ubuntu.. anybody have a
good/bad experience?

> A note about apt-get and the deb package management system: IT'S WONDERFUL!!
> I thought urpmi and yum were great. I never knew. The level of detail that
> deb allows you to provide (required, suggested, recommended, and other
> stuff), and other things it does for you to keep your system sane and stable
> is so lovely.

More than just dpkg/apt is the debian security and general teams for
each area of packages that actually put things together correctly in
their feeds. This is the only reason I chose Ubuntu for a workstation,
because of the close scrutiny of package relations and security.

> After 6+ years in the world of Redhat/Mandr(ake|iva)/CentOS, I think Debian
> just made another convert. :)

We are a dying breed. Save yourself before a tidal wave of rpm package
mutation causes a flood higher paying jobs.

Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>