Re: OS Recommendations?

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 14:05:19 AKDT

On Thursday 01 June 2006 13:22, Shane R. Spencer wrote:
> Why has nobody mentioned Debian? are Debianists a dying breed in AK? :)

I recently started a new job, and our servers all run Debian. I must say, I'm
quickly being converted. Granted, Debian stable can be a bit frustrating to
work with sometimes due to package age, but with collections like
backports.org, and other unofficial sites, things work out just fine. And
there is always configure/make/make install. :)

If you want things a little more up-to-date, go with a "supported unstable"
distribution. I'm running Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) on my desktop right
now, and I've never had so stable a desktop. You can even get KDE 3.5.3
packages. :) That "supported unstable" comes from that fact
that /etc/debian_version on Ubuntu contains the string "testing/unstable."

A note about apt-get and the deb package management system: IT'S WONDERFUL!!
I thought urpmi and yum were great. I never knew. The level of detail that
deb allows you to provide (required, suggested, recommended, and other
stuff), and other things it does for you to keep your system sane and stable
is so lovely.

After 6+ years in the world of Redhat/Mandr(ake|iva)/CentOS, I think Debian
just made another convert. :)

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111