Re: What are kids learning!!!

From: Mac Mason <mac@cs.hmc.edu>
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 19:30:51 AKDT

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 05:36:51PM -0800, Blake Eggemeyer wrote:
> **my brother uses bit torrent and limewire, then says that norton keeps him
> safe from the adware etc.
> he hasn't gone more than 6 months without wiping the disk and reinstalling.
> he wonders why I've only had to do that once in 3 years....
This happens when you run windows, blockers or not.

> when will he learn,
> in the high schools the techs once intended to stop supporting macs in favor
> of PCs, the superintendent stopped them, the reason was that the school
> couldn't turn in to one giant ad for PCs or MS.

Also that the administration costs for a school full of PCs would be at
least one order of magnitude more than the machines they currently have.
OS 9 is probably the least-attacked OS out there anymore.

> currently their isn't a computer class an south that isn't either
> keyboarding, or business apps(learn how to type, only do it fast, and
> use MS word to do it). kid learn NOTHING about computers in high
> school, except some that learned how to set use proxies so that they
> could play Mario without the server blocking them... necessity is the
> mother of invention...

Hey, me too. I was running squid on my home machine to show off how easy
it is to get around "security through obscurity", but they didn't teach
me that in school.

Of course, given the funding picture for the district, recent hardware
(let alone people qualified to teach computer science or IT) can't
happen. (Also, the trend towards "more required classes", good or bad,
makes it roughly impossible to introduce new electives, let alone whole
new departments)

    --Mac

--
Julian "Mac" Mason                            mac@cs.hmc.edu
Computer Science '06                          (310)-882-8068