Re: Toroid Cores

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 12:09:36 AKDT

Hi Joshua,

Condition (2) is there so when your _unlicensed_ WiFi thingy or your
wireless walk-around home telephone _receives_ interference, you have
_no_ basis to complain to the FCC (expecting the interference to be
eliminated).

No, Joshua, I doubt the _GOVERNMENT_ has plans to disable your wireless
keyboard through EMP.

Yes, Joshua, I would be exceedingly delighted to have all household
appliances hardened - at no extra expense. Ha! That's the rub.

Part 15 does not prevent or prohibit a manufacturer or a user for that
matter from applying shielding and other techniques such as esoteric
modulation methods (within the authorized power level, bandwidth, etc)
to reduce the possibility of interference. All this costs money (time,
material, and brains). The point is, licensed services have the right to
have interference from unlicensed services eliminated even if it means
causing the unlicensed service to cease operations.

Cheerio! fgd.

Joshua Kugler wrote:
> On Saturday 08 April 2006 15:16, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
>
>>Computers (including expansion cards, drives, etc) are basically, FCC
>>Part 15 devices, to wit:
>>
>> This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation
>> is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may
>> not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept
>> any interference received including interference that may cause
>> undesired operation.
>

> OK, since it got brought up...I have for *years* wondered why condition (2)
> was in the above. What is the rational? Does the government want to be able
> to EMP you at some point in the future? What bad would come of having all
> your household appliances hardened? Wouldn't that make for more reliable
> appliances (and less soft errors in data storage)?

- --
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm .^. Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska /v\ "etch" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service. /( )\ User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^ "irad" 301256