Re: reliable wireless router

From: Piet van Weel <pmvw@wbcable.net>
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 10:17:01 AKST

Hey Guys...

Take a look at my comments below.

Piet

Fielder George Dowding wrote:

>1. I like _Linksys_ - Their purchase by Cisco has seemed to enhance
>their consumer offerings.

Honestly I haven't tried Linksys in years. I had a lot of bad equipment
from these guys in the past. So I generally don't recommend them,
because of past expreiences; although, they may have changed I would
have to play around with it some. So I have no experience with their
wireless offerings.

>2. I wouldn't take a _D-Link_ anything if you gave it to me.

That's fine with me. Once you get it you can send it my way. I've got
two DI-604 routers sitting here and I absolutely love them. From a
firmware perspective they have about the best interface layout that I
have seen. On top of that they have some of the best IP filtering that I
have seen in a router. Definately a big plus in my book. (Especially
with teenage kids around) This being said I have no direct experience
with their wireless offerings.

>3. _Netgear_ stuff works (most of the time).

I would agree that it works MOST of the time; however, someone really
needs to talk to these guys about their interface AND interoperability
for their wireless devices. If you have a matched Netgear wireless
router and card then this is definately one of the best ways to go with
regards to reliability. Unfortunately these guys don't play nicely with
other wireless devices and seem to slow down for unknown reasons while
their devices seem to have no problems. Unfortunately its interface is
probably one of the worst I've seen and it makes it difficult to get the
basic job done. Plus the device doesn't have the ability to make the
wireless router just be a secure WAP; so you end up loosing a port of
that's all you wanted. :(

>4. CompUSA had some stuff called _Buffalo_ which I found easy to set up
>with a Linux box.

Never played with Buffalo devices. So No comment on this one.

>5. _Belkin_ is another one that I shy away from.

I actually have a Belkin MIMO wireless device sitting on top of my desk.
Once again you need matching technology in order to get the best
performance. It is interesting to note that the chipset which it uses
has been adopted as the industry standard (with minor changes). Belkin
has said that they will be releasing a firmware upgrade as soon as the
standard is set. (Purchased at COSTCO $149.00 for Wireless Router and
PCMCIA card) The wireless router also has the capability to dummy down
to just being a secure WAP with no strings or performance hit attached.

>6. _Xyzel_ seems to work with Linux. I only have had experience with a
>pci card. It needs the ndiswrapper and the Windows XP driver to work in
>Linux. They may not make an wbr.

Never played with Xyzel devices before. No comment onn this one.