Re: reliable wireless router

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 12:00:48 AKST

Yes, YMMV. OTOH, any thingy (generic term) that _requires_ IE or some
other Windows feature (bug) to access its administrative interface gets
an automatic _SUX_ grade from me. To be perfectly clear, if I can't use
Firefox on a Linux box to set it up, _SUX_!

That was my experience with the two D-Link wireless thingies. So, a
DI-604 router in a Windows environment may be just ducky. I have no
experience with the beastie however.

Query: What browser and operating system did you use to set it up, Piet?

fgd.

Piet van Weel wrote:
> Hey Guys...
>
> Take a look at my comments below.
>
> Piet
>
> Fielder George Dowding wrote:
>

>>1. I like _Linksys_ - Their purchase by Cisco has seemed to enhance
>>their consumer offerings.
>>

> Honestly I haven't tried Linksys in years. I had a lot of bad equipment
> from these guys in the past. So I generally don't recommend them,
> because of past expreiences; although, they may have changed I would
> have to play around with it some. So I have no experience with their
> wireless offerings.
>

>>2. I wouldn't take a _D-Link_ anything if you gave it to me.
>>

> That's fine with me. Once you get it you can send it my way. I've got
> two DI-604 routers sitting here and I absolutely love them. From a
> firmware perspective they have about the best interface layout that I
> have seen. On top of that they have some of the best IP filtering that I
> have seen in a router. Definately a big plus in my book. (Especially
> with teenage kids around) This being said I have no direct experience
> with their wireless offerings.
>

>>3. _Netgear_ stuff works (most of the time).
>>

> I would agree that it works MOST of the time; however, someone really
> needs to talk to these guys about their interface AND interoperability
> for their wireless devices. If you have a matched Netgear wireless
> router and card then this is definately one of the best ways to go with
> regards to reliability. Unfortunately these guys don't play nicely with
> other wireless devices and seem to slow down for unknown reasons while
> their devices seem to have no problems. Unfortunately its interface is
> probably one of the worst I've seen and it makes it difficult to get the
> basic job done. Plus the device doesn't have the ability to make the
> wireless router just be a secure WAP; so you end up loosing a port of
> that's all you wanted. :(
>

>>4. CompUSA had some stuff called _Buffalo_ which I found easy to set up
>>with a Linux box.
>>

> Never played with Buffalo devices. So No comment on this one.
>

>>5. _Belkin_ is another one that I shy away from.
>>

> I actually have a Belkin MIMO wireless device sitting on top of my desk.
> Once again you need matching technology in order to get the best
> performance. It is interesting to note that the chipset which it uses
> has been adopted as the industry standard (with minor changes). Belkin
> has said that they will be releasing a firmware upgrade as soon as the
> standard is set. (Purchased at COSTCO $149.00 for Wireless Router and
> PCMCIA card) The wireless router also has the capability to dummy down
> to just being a secure WAP with no strings or performance hit attached.
>

>>6. _Xyzel_ seems to work with Linux. I only have had experience with a
>>pci card. It needs the ndiswrapper and the Windows XP driver to work in
>>Linux. They may not make an wbr.
>>

> Never played with Xyzel devices before. No comment onn this one.

- --
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm .^. Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska /v\ "etch" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service. /( )\ User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^ "irad" 301256