Re: filesystem Qs

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 14:45:12 AKST

Fielder, I use Ubuntu and grub on my wife's laptop.

The Grub stanza for the laptop looks like this:

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-686
root (hd0,2)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-686 root=/dev/hda6 ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.12-9-686
savedefault
boot

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hda2
title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

I've used Grub for reiserfs (On my gentoo box, I think), ext2, and
ext3. You just need to make sure your initrd file has the necessary fs
modules. I've been making my own initrd files since I started using
ubuntu (and haven't been able to get DMA working - Ubuntu loads generic
ahead of via82cxxx - long story), and I always include extra fs modules
just in case.

Adam