RE: filesystem Qs

From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 11:52:41 AKST

Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> Well, let me repeat, _Apparently_ grub ... needs ext3 .... At least my
> last dozen or so Debian installs complained when I tried to use any
> other file system for the boot partition.

I use grub, and have my /boot partition on ext2. The rest is on rieser
(using SuSE). To use a journaling fs the partition needs to be at least
100 MB to make room for the journal or the install routine complains.
That may be what you're bumping into with Debian, but it's just not
explaining it as clearly as the SuSE install routine does. I didn't
want to burn that much space so I set the /boot partition to ext2 and it
works a treat...

...Kevin
--=20
Kevin Miller Registered Linux User No: 307357
CBJ MIS Dept. Network Systems Admin., Mail Admin.
155 South Seward Street ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801 fax: (907 586-4500