Re: filesystem Qs

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 12:49:38 AKST

Thanks Kevin,

When I was adhering to the doctrinally correct partitioning plan, I
would make a /boot partition fairly small. I don't remember, but I
suppose it was considerably less than 100 MB. Now, I have all but
abandoned my former theological position regarding partitioning for a
simple / and /home. I have a couple of reinstalls to accomplish so maybe
I will try reiserfs or one of the others again. fgd.

Kevin Miller wrote:
> Fielder George Dowding wrote:
>
>>Well, let me repeat, _Apparently_ grub ... needs ext3 .... At least my
>>last dozen or so Debian installs complained when I tried to use any
>>other file system for the boot partition.
>

> I use grub, and have my /boot partition on ext2. The rest is on rieser
> (using SuSE). To use a journaling fs the partition needs to be at least
> 100 MB to make room for the journal or the install routine complains.
> That may be what you're bumping into with Debian, but it's just not
> explaining it as clearly as the SuSE install routine does. I didn't
> want to burn that much space so I set the /boot partition to ext2 and it
> works a treat...
>

> ...Kevin
> --=20
> Kevin Miller Registered Linux User No: 307357
> CBJ MIS Dept. Network Systems Admin., Mail Admin.
> 155 South Seward Street ph: (907) 586-0242
> Juneau, Alaska 99801 fax: (907 586-4500

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "etch" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "irad" 301256