Re: Freebsd 6 is released:

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 10:04:27 AKST

On 11/04/2005, Matthew Schumacher wrote:

> I wonder if the filesystem is really any faster, if so them my two
> biggest complaints about Freebsd are now resolved: Filesystem
> performance and nsswitch support.

Haven't seen any stats on it yet. Let us know if you find any.

> I also see that it supports packages which I need since I compile my own
> packages and use them to distribute software, but I don't see anything
> about upgrading packages. Anyone know the process to upgrading a
> package on freebsd? Do you just install the new one over the old one or
> do you remove the old one first?

There's been package support for some time. Depending on the package,
most of them should automatically deinstall/reinstall when you use the
package tools to do the upgrade.

You probably want to start with the overview, just to get a grounding
(if you need it):

     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/packages-using.html

... and then the Porter's Handbook, if you're going to be rolling your
own from scratch, or modifying existing ones:

     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/

I was also sad to see them drop 386 support. Guess it was time, though.
:(

I'm also looking forward to trying out CARP, which was imported from
OpenBSD:

     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=carp

This, coupled with pfsync, can get you easy failover for your firewall
without losing state (when coupled with pfsync):

     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pfsync

The OpenBSD guys have their failver firewalls set up on a random,
staggered reboot schedule ... and no one ever notices. I'd love to
set something like that up but haven't made the time yet.

-royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                  - IP Engineering, ACS
personal: [first]@alaska.net                    - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531