Re: Freebsd 6 is released:

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 11:10:23 AKST

Royce Williams wrote:

> There's been package support for some time. Depending on the package,
> most of them should automatically deinstall/reinstall when you use the
> package tools to do the upgrade.
>
> You probably want to start with the overview, just to get a grounding
> (if you need it):
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/packages-using.html
>

> ... and then the Porter's Handbook, if you're going to be rolling your
> own from scratch, or modifying existing ones:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/

I'm not interested in compiling all of my software on each host so the
ports tree is out, I need package management.

I looked at those pages and there isn't a single word about upgrading.
I'll probably have to download and test, but the package management
looks pretty weak.

I don't need anything real fancy, and can manage my own dependancies, I
just need something to keep track of my binaries.

> I was also sad to see them drop 386 support. Guess it was time, though.
> :(

Yea, my firewall (interjet) is the slowest host I have and it's a 486.
Runs linux 2.6.13.2 perfectly.

> I'm also looking forward to trying out CARP, which was imported from
> OpenBSD:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=carp
>

> This, coupled with pfsync, can get you easy failover for your firewall
> without losing state (when coupled with pfsync):

That does look interesting for firewall use, but I'm not sure it would
be useful for fail over servcies, since the failed to service wouldn't
know what to do with the tcp session.

> The OpenBSD guys have their failver firewalls set up on a random,
> staggered reboot schedule ... and no one ever notices. I'd love to
> set something like that up but haven't made the time yet.

Is this really needed? I'm trying to figure out why you would want that
(other than the fail over).

schu