Freebsd 6 is released:

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 08:25:48 AKST

Here are some of the new features:

It is my great pleasure and privilege to announce the availability of
FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE. This release is the next step in delivering the
high performance and enterprise features that have been under
development in the FreeBSD 5.x series for that last several years. Some
of the many changes since 5.4 include:

      Significant performance improvements to the filesystem and direct
disk access layers of the OS. The filesystem is now multithreaded and
can take full advantage of multiple CPU systems.

      Expanded support for wireless networking adapters and new support
for the WPA wireless security protocol.

      Experimental support for the PowerPC platform.

I wonder if the filesystem is really any faster, if so them my two
biggest complaints about Freebsd are now resolved: Filesystem
performance and nsswitch support.

I also see that it supports packages which I need since I compile my own
packages and use them to distribute software, but I don't see anything
about upgrading packages. Anyone know the process to upgrading a
package on freebsd? Do you just install the new one over the old one or
do you remove the old one first?

schu