Re: GCI Cable for webhosting

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 11:07:35 AKDT

Neil Moomey wrote:
> Does anyone have a website running on GCI cable? If so what is the address and the upload speed? 256 or 384Kbps. I want to see how fast it is especially for photos. My biggest concern is cable sharing in my neighborhood which might slow things. Thanks.
> Neil

Not meaning anything against GCI, but their packages are really geared
towards download speed and I feel they fall short when you start serving
your own content. While 256 is plenty enough to serve basic web pages
it starts getting tight when you start using voip, vpns, gaming, or
other bi-directional protocols.

I have 768/768 though mta and while I don't get the killer download
speeds, I use voip and vpns quite a bit and find that a symmetrical
service works better for me.

schu