Re: GCI Cable for webhosting

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 21:51:32 AKDT

I have had poor upload throughput experience with GCI Cable (business).
I don't know what the package is, so I can't say for sure what the
down/up numbers are. I find that surfing and downloading files (not
something I do often being aware of the maximum limit even though I
don't know what it is) is really snappy. When I upload a large audio
(mp3) file, usually 3 to 5 M, there appearers to be throttling in force.
That is, 100 to 256 k are uploaded, then it pauses for awhile. Then
another couple hundred k are uploaded followed by a pause. So, I usually
set the ftp client (dukemftp) to upload a bunch, turn off the monitor,
close the hutch doors, and go home. Then the next day I will check the
site. So far, everything has been uploaded without problems except for
speed.

fgd.

Matthew Schumacher wrote:
> Neil Moomey wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a website running on GCI cable? If so what is the address and the upload speed? 256 or 384Kbps. I want to see how fast it is especially for photos. My biggest concern is cable sharing in my neighborhood which might slow things. Thanks.
>>Neil
>>

> Not meaning anything against GCI, but their packages are really geared
> towards download speed and I feel they fall short when you start serving
> your own content. While 256 is plenty enough to serve basic web pages
> it starts getting tight when you start using voip, vpns, gaming, or
> other bi-directional protocols.
>
> I have 768/768 though mta and while I don't get the killer download
> speeds, I use voip and vpns quite a bit and find that a symmetrical
> service works better for me.
>
> schu

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "etch" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "irad" 301256