Re: Fast Downloads in Anchorage

From: <rspickles@kcialaska.org>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 09:19:07 AKDT

Grant Stockly wrote:
>What's up with GCI? I just downloaded a 15MB file in 35 seconds...
>
>Is this some kind of new bandwidth policy?
>

>---------

One of two thing could have happened here maybe both -
1. Cable modem can run very fast - if no one else is on it. GCI can
throttle it down yes - but most often you are up against other users
sharing your bandwidth so actual speed of a cable modem can vary greatly
depending when you test it.
2. FireFox and Mozilla (I assume most other browsers do the same) will
start down loading the moment the down load connection is made - even
while you are doing things like deciding weather or not to save or open
and/or where to save it - so a small distraction can make the down load
appear to be much faster than it was in reality.

A third possibility is that if it is cached somewhere near by the the
down load may proceed faster - Our firewall at KCI east center is on a
computer with a large drive so I have set the maximum file size to a
very large value - about 150mb if I remember right - this means that
these files will be supplied by the proxy and seem to download very fast
indeed for the second or later request.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: rspickles.vcf