Re: Life after Gentoo?

From: Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 17:08:10 AKDT

* Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net> [050822 16:55]:
> Adam bultman wrote:
>
> > I have a hard time getting on board (or re-getting, as the case may be)
> > with a distro that just about died along with it's sole maintainer. It
> > seems that a distro maintained by a single person is very much a distro
> > waiting to die.
> >
> > Adam
>
> I use slackware for everything and I'm not worried about it. Pat has
> people in place to take over if something happened, and if that doesn't
> pan out someone will fork it and continue.
>
> The great thing about slack is how simple it is. No package
> dependencies, no kernel patches, no pam, etc...

  I've always used red hat. Recently I set up a slack 10.0 partition.
  I am prepared to like it and will probably switch to it entirely and
  drop the Red Hat. I like the slackware philosophy. I agree that the
  community will continue it regardless of the fortunes of the
  maintainer.

  *but* (see my posting on Super_L)

  The choice of interface also makes a difference. If KDE insists on
  "grabbing" keys as it does with keycode 115 without providing an
  obvious way to override that feature, then it's too damn
  Micro$oft-like for me. On the other hand, regardless of the distro,
  I'm sure that the "lay user" coming from windows would find KDE more
  windows-like than say, fvwm.

> For things that I need such as sasl, I build my own slackware packages.
> This way I have all of my software compiled from source the way I want,
> but I only need to do it once on a build system. Packages are built
> with pwbuilder so I have a script that knows how to build each package.
> If a newer version of some software comes out, I increment the version
> number in the build script then build the package again.

  And that is the way that I want to go ....
  /*
     Old "C dogs" don't die, they just go to
     slackware || debian heaven
   */