Re: Life after Gentoo?

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 16:35:20 AKDT

Adam bultman wrote:

> I have a hard time getting on board (or re-getting, as the case may be)
> with a distro that just about died along with it's sole maintainer. It
> seems that a distro maintained by a single person is very much a distro
> waiting to die.
>
> Adam

I use slackware for everything and I'm not worried about it. Pat has
people in place to take over if something happened, and if that doesn't
pan out someone will fork it and continue.

The great thing about slack is how simple it is. No package
dependencies, no kernel patches, no pam, etc...

For things that I need such as sasl, I build my own slackware packages.
 This way I have all of my software compiled from source the way I want,
but I only need to do it once on a build system. Packages are built
with pwbuilder so I have a script that knows how to build each package.
 If a newer version of some software comes out, I increment the version
number in the build script then build the package again.

schu