Re: Life after Gentoo?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 07:27:35 AKDT

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Adam bultman wrote:

> I have a hard time getting on board (or re-getting, as the case may be)
> with a distro that just about died along with it's sole maintainer. It
> seems that a distro maintained by a single person is very much a distro
> waiting to die.

<Ahem> You're off my christmas card list. ;-) To Slackware's credit Patrick
posts everything to build his distro from scratch, including his package build
scripts. If he disappears someone forks it and continues to update packages
with the exact same framework. For that matter, that's pretty much what
others have done when support for non-x86 platforms were dropped.

If you're solely dependent on binary updates perhaps that would be a source
for concern. Personally, if you really want to stay vigilant on security I
don't think you can afford to be crippled so...

        --Arthur Corliss