Re: Life after Gentoo?

From: Clay Scott <rudeboy@gci.net>
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 16:13:55 AKDT

well, a point would be that not everyone needs (or wants) a distro like gentoo. my opinion is that they're more flash-in-the-pan gimmicks rather than anything with any real staying power. as this thread points out gentoo is one of the most recently introduced distros, saw an immense amount of community adoption to only have people start dumping it a few short years later. i'll admit that's as much for the afore-mentioned "dumbed down users" and the people who think compiling for three weeks makes their systems uber l33t as it is for the growing aggravation caused by portage (arguably gentoo's sole claim to fame).

i prefer to configure my system by hand, i prefer to install what i want from source (with the ability to uninstall), i dislike excessive automation at the cost of knowledge and i don't like relying on some repository to dictate what i can and can't install. i, and people like me, get along just fine with slackware. i have no vested interest in what anyone else uses so either way my recommendation stands.

~clay

oh, and i especially liked that stab at pat's illness...