Re: ACS and AirCard580 et. al.

From: Christopher E. Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 15:39:17 AKDT

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, William Bouterse wrote:

> Before I call ACS and make a fool out of myself I wanted to ask...
>
> Here in the Montana Creek area on the outskirts of
> Talkeetna with a very slow land-line dialup, though decent
> cell phone connectivity would this qualify me to be able to
> use this service package? and then again to be really obtuse...
> Just what package would I be asking for???
>
> Thanks, sorry for the clueslessness but I have been "promised" so
> many "soon to be implemented" services by MTA that I am a little
> skeptical...

Wasilla, Palmer, and Big Lake have pretty solid EVDO coverage, with RTT in
the surrounding areas, per both the coverage maps and my use. Along the
Parks, coverage more or less tapers off between the Big Lake turnoff and
Houston High.

In order for the service to work, you *must* be on an ACS CDMA cell site
(this gets you 1xRTT service at up to 150kbps), if the site has EVDO
service (additional channel/tranceiver and multi-megibit backhaul) you
assoc with the DO gear first (the lower rate 1xRTT having somthing around
2.5 times the range of DO).

CDMA phones can roam to other CDMA carriers, and even fallback to TDMA if
needed for voice service, data however _requires_ primary coverage, and
*cannot* fallback to TDMA.

IIRC remember correctly, looking under
acsalaska.com Consumer/Wireless/Wireless Broadband will find you whatever
is being published about the services.

Again, work hat is half off here, I only deal with the technical stuff.