Re: Presentations at the monthly meetings

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 23:46:16 AKDT

Pity I will be out of town on the 19th. Yes, it would be nice to return
to our roots - how AKLUG began - monthly meetings with a presentation
(1995 + ???). By the time Mike Barsalou began doing the once a month
thing at his (refresh my memory - Arctic and NLB) work place, the Friday
Laboratory Session was fairly well established. (subject to corrective
comments of course) fgd.

Jon Reynolds wrote:
> I am going to do a mythtv presentation at the Aug. 19th meeting starting
> at 7pm. I hope I am up to the challenge.
>
> This is one thing I would really like to see at our meetings more often.
> So many of us are doing various things with Linux and there is just not
> enough time to learn it all. If anybody would like to do presentations
> on any subject with open source software on Linux, I am sure that there
> would be a lot of interest. Mike B. used to do these at the once a month
> meetings and I really looked forward to them. Some of the topics that I
> can think of off the top of my head would be, security, routers,
> databases, mail servers, web servers, dns, streaming media, kernel
> building, updating using apt and/or yum, window managers, the list goes
> on and on. Basically, anything that you are comfortable with and have a
> knowledge of that you wouldn't mind sharing with the rest of us.
>
> Is there an interest in any of this? I have a projector here at Muldoon
> that we could use to display up on the wall so everyone would be able to
> see what is going on. I am willing to help out in anyway that I could to
> make sure everything was setup and accessible. I know time constraints
> and family are a big issue with most of us, so do not feel pressured. I
> also may just be speaking for myself and if so just disregard but if
> there is an interest then I would really like to help promote this for
> all of us.
>
> Is anybody willing to try this?
>
> Jon

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Stable
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                             ^^-^^  "Seth" 186667